Zambia is still a relatively undiscovered destination in Africa where you will find an unspoiled nature full of wildlife. The KLM flies directly from Amsterdam to Lusaka which makes it a quick and comfortably flight. The country is largely a protected nature reserve and it’s the major rivers that attract plenty of wildlife during the dry season. The Lower Zambezi River offers exciting canoe trips and South Luangwa is renowned for its excellent network for a walking safari where together with a guide and armed ranger, you walk from lodge one to the other. There are many beautiful lodges, such as the Sanctuary Lodges, which is one of our favorites.
June / September is the best time to visit Zambia.
The Victoria Falls are on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe and should not be missing on your itinerary. The Tongabezi Lodge, a very beautiful base from which to explore, is located on the Zambezi River. In addition to visiting the falls and relaxing by the pool, you can also indulge in activities such as whitewater rafting, canoe trips or spotting elephant, hippos and crocodiles. It’s even possible to stay overnight, in the middle of the Zambezi river, on an uninhabited island.
The Lower Zambezi National Park borders the Zambezi River and its scenic views and spectacular position at the foot of a mountain range, make it the most beautiful park in the country. Our favorite lodge here is the Chongwe River Camp with a stunning location on two rivers and a hippo pool right at its doorstep. South Luangwa is one of the best animal parks in the country with a large variety of animals and it is the place to spot leopards and lions. Norman Carr Safaris specializes in exciting walking safaris experiencing wildlife from close by as you walk from lodge to lodge.
For an extension of your holiday in Lake Malawi, it is possible to fly directly from South Luangwa to Lilongwe. Lake Malawi is like a “Grand Dessert”, a great spot for relaxing, swimming and other water sports. For example, Likoma Island located in the quiet northern part of the lake, is not far from Mozambique. The nicest hotel is Kaya Mawa which has ten chalets, including two family homes. From Lilongwe you can then fly via Nairobi back to Amsterdam.
Let us inspire you:
- Amazing Journeys,
- (Nederlands) Afrika & Indische Oceaan,
- (Nederlands) Australie & Nieuw Zeeland,
- (Nederlands) Azie & Midden Oosten,
- Bhutan: Magical Kingdom,
- China: Along the Yangtze,
- Indonesia: Bali, Garden Island,
- Indonesia: Far East luxury in exotic Bali,
- Iran: Travelling through Central Iran,
- Japan: Secrets of Japan,
- Jordan: spectacular desert treasure and spa in the Dead Sea,
- Malaysia: Borneo,
- Myanmar: Back in Time,
- Oman: Beaches and Bedouins,
- Oman: Dubai & Musandan,
- Oman: The historic forts, wadis, oases and vast sandy beaches of Oman,
- Thailand: Family Adventure.,
- Uzbekistan: Travel the Silk Road by train,
- Laos & Cambodja,
- (Nederlands) Canada & Noord Amerika,
- (Nederlands) Zuid Amerika + Caribische Zee,
- Costa Rica: Family adventure,
- Argentina & Brasil,
- Argentina & Patagonia,
- Argentinië: Buenos Aires,
- Brazil: Family Adventure,
- Colombia: A Big Surprise,
- Cuba: by rental car,
- Ecuador: Quito & Galápagos Cruise,
- Peru: Land of the Inca’s,
- Suriname: Rainforests & Coasts,
- (Nederlands) Caribbean: ABC Eilandhoppen,
- Special Beach Collection,
- X- Villas and country houses,